CIVIL LITIGATION (NLS)
This course explores the intricacies of civil litigation and procedure in Nigeria. Issues addressed in the course includes but is not limited to methods of civil dispute resolution, sources of civil procedure, pre-action issues to be consider when instituting an action, pleadings, judgement and appeals. The teaching of the course would focus mainly on the skills of litigation and the application of civil procedure rules in practice.
In this course, student will be able to access the following:
- 1. Civil Procedure Rules of the High Courts of Lagos State and FCT Abuja
- 2. Magistrate Court Law of Lagos State
- 3. Magistrates Courts Rules of Lagos State
- 4. Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules
- 5. Sheriffs and Civil Process Act and the Judgments Enforcement Rules
- 6. Matrimonial Causes Act and Matrimonial Causes Rules
- 7. Tenancy Law of Lagos State
- 8. Recovery of Premises Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria
- 9. The Supreme Court and Court of Appeal Rules and other relevant rules
- 10. The Constitution
NOTE: This course would be based only on the rules of the Magistrates court of Lagos State; and High Court Civil procedure Rules of Lagos State and FCT Abuja. Attention may be drawn to the position in other jurisdictions simply for illustrating how the rules function but students should not be made to undertake a comparative study of the Rules of Lagos and FCT Abuja with any other Rules.
This course is designed to be flexible and responsive to the student needs. Hence students are encouraged to go through the course at their own pace. Additionally, this course is organised into topics with related course materials (i.e. short interactive videos, course handouts, case law, statutes, articles, case studies e.t.c).
This course is also robustly supported by requisite support activities including but not limited to multiple choice and scenario based questions, real-time communal interaction via our in-course chartrooms and related performance assessment analytics towards ensuring optimum user engagement/experience.
- Lectures 17
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 2
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self